MODULE 3: PITCHING
• A pitch for your startup or project
• 3 minute pitch video uploaded to YouTube
TIPS TO CRAFT A PITCH
1. KEEP IT SIMPLE
• Use simple terminology/language
2. FOCUS ON THE PROBLEM
• No one cares about the solution until they understand the problem
• What does your solution do that will make people care about this problem?
3. TELL A STORY
4. HAVE A KILLER CLOSING
• Close strongly with a memorable ending
• The first sentence of your opening may be the same as the ending
• Use a sentence someone can re-use to describe your company
5. SAMPLE PITCH STRUCTURE
• Solution/demo (What is your project, startup, or movement?)
• How big is the market? (Who is your customer or user?)
• Business model (How are you going to make money or become sustainable?)
• Competitive advantage
• Your team
6. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
• Not 1-3 times but 1,000 times so that you are relaxed and comfortable giving the pitch
• Make the situation as real as possible
• Don’t read it off a piece of paper
• Talk slowly
• Record yourself so you can see how you look and sound
• Practice in front of real people
SUBMITTING YOUR VIDEO
• You can be as creative as you wish, but your video must address the key points highlighted in the Sample Pitch Structure section of this module.
• Your video must be under three minutes
• Upload your video to YouTube and submit the link by Friday, 2:00 pm CT to your local lead organizer.
• Once your video has been submitted, you will have 24 hours to start the promotion process and get your friends, family, or contacts to like your video on YouTube. Spread the word as far and wide as you like!
• On Saturday at 2:00 pm CST, the promotion period will terminate and local lead organizers will tally the number of YouTube likes for your video pitch. Lead organizers will email the 3DS Springboard team the results.
THE BIG REVEAL
• After votes are tallied, local lead organizers will notify participating teams with the most likes. On Saturday at 7:00 pm CT, selected teams from each university will pitch live for a global audience.
• The live pitch will also be 3 minutes. Decks are optional. If you use a deck, please choose the screen share feature to share your slides.
• All videos submitted from all universities will be featured on the 3dswebsiteclone.3daystartup.org website after 3DS Springboard.
Download slides for Module Three HERE